As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Forty years

Image may contain: 2 people, including Garry Verhoog, people smiling, stripes, sky, outdoor and waterGarry slept through the several thunderstorms that rolled through Friday night... well I did wake him up for a few minutes around 11:30 when the power went out right after a big crack of lighting. The storm kept me awake a while longer. I had to get up and encourage to girls to just go to sleep and hope the power was back on in the morning, two of them were up for a group bathroom run.

 I had gone to bed an hour or so before after the internet went out while I was face-timing with our daughter-in-law and granddaughter. She's 18 months old and was having fun saying hi and waving.


Then the big storm rolled in, knocking out the electricity in the village and knocking down some trees. Luckily none in our yard, but some of the people in the village were getting some of the schifer (roof material) we took off the house next door to repair damaged roofs (the new stuff they sell is not the same size as the old kind.)

A good amount of rain fell to make the farmers happy, too. Garry is only running water on the fields to add some fertilizer this week.







The power was still off when Garry and I left around ten am for our planned weekend away to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. I don't even know when it came back on, but I had left the girls with a fridge full of reheat-able items and salad and they did not eat them all up by Monday noontime.
Friday night burgers with gloves to eat them

We had a good time, relaxing at a hotel, working on some prep work for our Summer English Institute classes and eating out. Well mostly good eating out, our big Italian dinner Sunday evening was a bit of a disappointment. We ate on the patio,  the lemonade was OK, but  Garry had finished his entree long before my pasta arrived. Notice how much darker it is in my photo. The pasta was warm, but the mushrooms were a little iffy. Garry said his dish had both chicken and pork, and the chicken was better.
Afterwards, we paid and then walked across the street for coffee, mint tea and cake at a CoffeeLife.


We also bought a cow painting from the art market to celebrate, and it's hanging over the Mennonite couch now.






Yes, those are apricots, we have a bumper crop, but Sasha picked some greener ones. Garry is working on more lesson planning tonight. I've been at it all day, maybe redoing my slang class instead of using the one from two years ago plus teaching an all new Canadian media class for two different levels... was over ambitious. Well, back to work, I'll get some crop photos up soon. 


No comments:

Post a Comment