As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Counting down

 We're busy ticking things off our lists, we are 80% packed for Canada. Thursday morning we are off to Dnepro for our preflight covid tests, and I'll get us registered with arrivecan. Our flight is with Austrian airlines and leaves Zaporosia at 4:30 am Saturday, so we'll need to leave for the airport around one am.

Monday morning they decided to replant as much wheat as possible with the forecast calling for a little rain Tuesday, it looked like a lot of the first fields planted had seeds that had sprouted and died during this dry spell. They just used the untreated wheat from the shed for seed. By the time it was getting dark (an hour earlier than Saturday, time changed here over the weekend) they had the two fields by the highway planted. They kept planting until five am, using the new tractor with autosteer they could plant all night. They got 35 hectares replanted, or about 90 acres. 


Tuesday morning it was a little wet out when Bear and I went out to walk to the barn. I went in the milk house to look for his usual morning milk snack very cautiously. Saturday morning we were attacked by the barn cats. There's a couple half grown kittens in there, and the mother cats decided that Bear was a threat. I got my leg shredded and bit. I poured peroxide over it, applications of antibiotic cream were repeated, and somehow it hasn't gotten infected, but I don't want a replay. I took this photo the day before when no one cares we were there!

As the morning passed by, we actually got more rain than predicted, maybe enough to get the wheat up. There's more rain in the forecast, hopefully it's not like last week, when it never rained at all. There were puddles this morning and some slippery mud when Bear and I walked.


Garry has been making lists of cows that will need to go dry and will calve while we are gone. He's checking and cleaning the milking machines and pipeline, and balanced the feed ration.  The corn is combined and in the new Quonset barn. The mill has been moved from the attic of the tent barn to the old Quonset, the two Sashas were filling bags with ground corn for feed. 



I've stocked up on cat and dog food. Box is still outside, I don't know if she will come in while we are gone, I've caught her but she escaped immediately. She's not a fan of children, Angelina is a very active toddler.



Monday night we had one last student dinner. We think they eat a little less with the students eating lunch together. Kolya and Julia are the chief cooks, they both milk cows too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment