As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Friday, September 21, 2012

It was a good day until...

 See the bright sunflowers Garry brought me last night! He is always good at picking free flowers for me. I don`t get nearly as many in the winter, I have noticed over the years...

It`s another beautiful day, perfect weather, not too hot or cool (a little cooler in the evenings, but no danger of frost yet) I am sure Garry would prefer a little rain falling on his fields, but yesterday when we drove to town there were combines working all over, mostly in sunflower fields.
Really empty!
 As you can see Garry is supposed to get some more piva travina (brewers grain) on Friday. They still can't buy enough to sell any, last week Saturday they closed the gate, the for sale sign has been down to two weeks, but cars with trailers were stopping and driving away empty. Maxim tells us that most people were buying it to feed their pigs, not cows, but they need to feed them something with the small amount of grain they recieved for their shares this year. Last week Wednesday it was really sad to watch an older lady come in the driveway pulling a tiny wagon with a bucket and big canner pot on and have to go away empty.

 Garry has been able to source a few tons once a week or so since the guy they were buying from told them he had been cut off, just enough to still feed the cows some, but not as much as they were getting prevouisly, he is still working, with Victor's help to find a new source, even if it costs more for the future- like this winter.
the two heifer calves- the one standing was born on Wednesday
Garry reported that the streak is broken, after two girls, there was a bull calf born this morning. All three were out of cows calving for the second time, and they seem to be milking well already.

I was interrupted while working on this post - I started it around four oclock, walked outside to give Garry his phone, and staying to help him with something after Victor drove  away with the milk he sells in Dnepro on Thursdays. It was a mistake...as you can see from my 3 am facebook post a few minutes ago.

Super ouch! I tried to help Garry Verhoog assemble his plow, and we accidentially dropped a very heavy wheel thing on my foot hard, it looks like my toenail is a goner, may have broke my big toe too, plus bruised up my left shoulder and right wrist where it bounced off before falling to the ground...
See the big metal wheel thing he was trying to attach ?
  Yes the plow was turned over so the wheel dropped down three- four feet onto my toe...Garry was very sweet trying to help I spent the rest of the evening with my foot up, and him waiting on me, after he wrapped my toe with bandaids to hold my toenail on, resting on a bag of ice, oozing a little blood.  I was surprised to go to sleep after more Advil around 11 pm, but I woke up a while ago my toe (protected by one of Garry's big wool socks) was throbbing and my shoulder hurt too, so I decided to finish my blog post. 

Oh, and click on the birds to check out the day at the trade school on Thursday...exciting photos and post added earlier in the afternoon, before hurting my toe!

No comments:

Post a Comment