As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Friday, September 22, 2017

Garry's (Thurs) day (and Friday)

So right now, Friday afternoon, the wind is gusting and I am hearing some banging up the attic as it blows through up there. According to the BBC weather a rain storm is heading here from Hungary. I have just finished assembling a coat tree to take down to the classroom (probably Monday, since Nelly has the key). She has been busy cleaning everything and organizing there, so I have been doing a little fixing of things while Garry is busy with crops and things. Yesterday I put the new doorknob on the classroom toilet (washroom, bathroom), it's been sitting around the house since spring.

I went outside just now and the wind is really blowing the canvas on the barn in the yard. The (two) grad boys are slowly emptying one of the wagons from yesterday, and two of the student guys are stacking the last load on the wagon in the field.
 The combine has moved to a different field and that one has a different type of sunflower and they are yielding even better, they are getting about 3 tonne per hectare. Garry drove out there this morning and I got a couple pictures. Next year they won't have any fields as far as Marosina, they have traded with the the big farmer for one closer to home.


Anyway, back to our subject, Thursday. Garry had hoped to make our regular Thursday night small group in Zaporosia, our friends just got back from their trip, but the day did not go quite as planned. He had hoped to get some hay baled the day before but the hay rake broke and had to be fixed in the middle of the day (remember Wednesday- lots of visitors, student birthday with cake at school, and a trip to do an English club in the evening). So it was Thursday and after making feed for the cows with the TMR and feeding it first thing in the morning; Garry got Kolya and Sasha (our only grad guys now) to help him bale hay. I rushed some lunch out to the hayfield around noon (I had the van) and found them in the middle of the field with the baler torn apart. Garry said it was leaving too much hay on the ground, he was getting ready to replace the teeth that pick the hay up after eating.


He was a very tired and dirty looking guy when he came in at 5:30 for a shower (wait it was later he went out for the second wagon full after I talked to him and messaged that we weren't coming). He had been looking for another (the small) wagon, but it wasn't in the yard.

They are using some of the wagons for moving sunflower seeds into the shed for storage, but this one was somewhere else, so they did not finish baling as he had hoped. Luckily the rain was predicted to come Friday evening and so far, it's 4:30  3:30 pm, only wind. The last thing he did Thursday evening was he backed the tractor up and the guys helped hook it to the TMR, ready for this morning.

Then he showered, ate the soup I had made after cancelling our trip to Zap, and laid on the couch drinking coke in the air conditioning (it was humid and nearly 30 C again) all evening. Not really, someone knocked on the door to talk to him at least four times, and he helped me buy my train tickets to and from Kiev over the internet for my trip to NJ...until he went to bed at ten while I was watching baseball. It's not often I get the Phillies as the featured live game on satellite TV.

He has gone off with the van, I thought he said he was making the cows feed for the morning tonight so we can go off to a farm show about 4 hours away early Saturday. Hmmm... I hope he remembers our Bible study in Dnepro tonight. He doesn't have his phone on him, its on the table.

Turns out Garry and Max were screwing down the tin on the new straw shed, the wind was picking it up, no one had put screws on the edges!



The wind is really howling. He's back and it's only four, I just helped him switch wagons, he's taking that little one they did today over to the new farm to feed to the calves. I can still pull and pin and hold up a wagon tongue and put a pin in it. The dirt is really blowing out there with all this wind, the hardest part of the process was seeing past my hair, it was blowing all over, I guess I needed a ponytail today!

He was just going to drop it off, he said he can't make the feed because they are using the tractor he needs for the TMR to move manure right now. We should have no problem showering changing  and getting to Dnepro for seven pm. Now it's 4:25... and I just heard the tractor drive past the house.


No comments:

Post a Comment