As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Monday, January 22, 2018

Snow, no snow, snowing again

Image may contain: tree, sky, plant, snow, outdoor and natureSunday morning we woke up to a winter wonderland. After the snow fell for the first time (for a cover) last week Monday when I returned, there was a little more Tuesday, followed by Wednesday night's overnight melt and mud. Friday's inch stayed, and we got three more inches overnight to make Sunday's fluffy layer over everything. It really stuck on the trees. It seemed like everyone in Dnepro was posting photos on facebook.

Saturday evening Garry drove a van-full of students to Dnepro to a youth program at one of the churches. He tries to get them there once a month and to Steve's Just Youth in Zaporosia, which is held once a month. He saw former students Andrey and Karina, who are living a working in Dnepro since fall. Andrey was out to celebrate New Year's in the village, but Karina was not so he brought her a gift of socks, gloves, shampoo and some small things. That's what all the students got when Garry gave out the gifts on New Year's Eve.

Image may contain: tree, snow, table, outdoor and natureThere is snow in the forecast for the next couple days and it is supposed to be cold (not Manitoba cold) too. Right now it's Monday afternoon and it is snowing lightly and blowing a bit, the wind is picking up some of the loose snow. There is some ice under there, someone said it was raining at 3 am on Saturday night before the 3 inches of fluffy snow fell. This morning I put my new gripper soles on before walking down to class, the road has some ice on. Yesterday morning someone scraped it - a first, normally they just drive on it and wait for it to melt. We did not see, but assume a tractor or payloader did it. However the sun came out and melted what was left on the pavement Sunday afternoon and it turned to ice overnight as the water had no where to go to.

I just had to find Alona some gloves as she headed over to the barn to work. Not to wear there, but to milk in, I tried to tell her that it wouldn't work - I even had Nelly to translate as she had joined us for lunch since she had been translating for Garry's class until noon. However, I gave up after giving her some black gloves to wear over for work and just gave her some rubber gloves to wear for milking the cows, after telling her it would be better without.

Garry had gone to breed a cow between class and eating lunch, while he was gone his phone rang and I gave it to Nelly, someone else wanted their cow bred and so I said they could come at one to pick up Garry. He is off now breeding the guys cow, he lived in another village so I guess Garry will find out how the highway is for driving. Yesterday we only drove the short distance to the village church.

Turns out he bred two cows, as the first guy who knocked on the door was not the guy who had phoned. Garry says the highway looks pretty good, they even plowed both lanes.

 Garry finished his cow yoga puzzle he's been working on since before I came back, and glued it on cardboard. Now I'll have to find a place to hang it. I am dragging a bit today, Garry slept through most of it but I was awake most of the night watching our football team, the Eagles book their ticket for Super Bowl 52. I knew I should have bought a hat or t-shirt in the Minneapolis airport while flying through last week!

I think I'll take a nap. Three hours is not enough sleep, even for me. Most nights I have been getting two three hours sleep with a couple waking hours in bed between.

No comments:

Post a Comment