As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Sunday, April 1, 2018

A little more

This has been a busy week as you can see from my posts, we have had more than a houseful with two teams here. Doing a build and a VBS at the same time was stressful, we had a few hiccups along the way. On Tuesday morning as I was preparing soup and sandwiches for lunch solo - Marcie was at the VBS leading crafts and Carol was still in Kiev after the last four Steinbach team members missed their connection Monday evening- I sliced my finger open with the new sharp bread knife!

I used one of the butterfly closures I'd brought from Canada recently- applied one-handed. of course and a band-aid and started slowly making open-faced sandwiches. Luckily I got them done, and it was not throbbing as much by the time I finished making lunch, but I avoided washing dishes with my left hand for a few days. It is healing pretty nicely now.

The team had a few more bleeding cuts from working with the metal profile, but nothing too bad, and we have not had any other kinds injuries this week. Hopefully we can say the same at the end of next week. Yesterday I had to patch up Nikolai (one of the grad students) because he sliced his finger while working on the outside insulation. Not too bad, but he got a little dizzy afterwards.

The camp (VBS) staff was hit with a run of sickness that left Jack's translator Julie home in bed Wednesday and affected Jack for the last couple days- but he did his classes anyway. Now Doug and Roy are suffering with the cold and cough. So far Peter has not caught it but he came prepared with lots of meds after he had a terrible cold last year. Nellie missed part of Friday too. Maybe next year we will need spare translators... I sound like Marcie, she's making notes on how to do VBS better next year.

Of course not having a working oven until Friday at noon reduced my menu options, but everyone got fed, and the team even got homemade pizza that evening, I made 12 pizzas while they were at the VBS parents program since my oven finally worked. It only took from Saturday night when the car hit the pole until Friday to get our 3rd phase back, and Wednesday afternoon we had no power until about 7 pm and my stove is electric, so we boiled hot dogs at Nellie's since that stove is gas, and had bread, pickles and coleslaw.

Yesterday while tiling the rest of the kitchen floor, Ed couldn't find the last piece he had cut. Leila, our grad who loves to clean, was helping and had thrown it outside. Luckily he was able to finish when they found it unbroken after Carol said she had seen her throw something out!

Looks like Doug tried the chain saw 
Carol has been busy cleaning in the house here and even burning debris at the work site when she can't find enough to do. It seems like there is a fire going there every day. Marcie and I were getting some smoke leaching into the house yesterday morning that was making our eyes water when the wind was blowing the wrong way.

Max has been cutting some dead trees and one that was rubbing on the roof this week. On Wednesday Max was looking for his chain saw mix fuel and thought someone must have stolen it. Turned out the culprit was Neil, who had thrown a pop bottle onto the fire that exploded!



No comments:

Post a Comment