As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Thanksgiving dinner

Last Monday we celebrated Thanksgiving at Scott and Shannon's house with the students and staff.  The Crawfords are hosting the students every other Monday for dinner with devotions, but we decided to have our annual Thanksgiving meal together there.

The way the house is laid out with the entry in the center gives the great room a clear space dividing the kitchen and livingroom areas. Shannon can finish in the kitchen while Scott is talking to the students in the living area without disturbing each other. It's very different from our house where I was tripping over everyone while making the last pizzas the previous Monday.

Scott had an interesting story about how faith in Christ changed his life, and then the group moved outside to the firepit to see some  color changes in the flames. Shannon and I finished getting stuff ready, Vova brought in his famous potatoes, Yana made two large salads and deviled eggs,  I made pork roast, and brought the cabbage beet salad the students made on Thursday in cooking class. Shannon made individual cheesecakes for dessert.

We had more food than everyone could eat, even after they went back for seconds before dessert,  Victor bought oranges and candy for everyone,  so they went home with their pockets full. The brothers Vlad and Valera were still working on painting the Crawford's house, after finishing last layer of stucco. They came for dinner, too.

After dinner, the two brothers spent the night at our house, after Garry discovered that they were sleeping in an abandoned house. They both took long showers.

Whoever had put them up when they arrived in the village the week before must have asked them to leave. They were ready to work on the house Monday morning before seven. We saw them standing around waiting for Scott to unlock the shed to get their supplies, looking cold, so Garry invited them in for tea. By noon we'd figured out that they had no place to sleep.  Tuesday they moved into the little house we bought on the first street that they'd asked about over the weekend.  They have a propane heater to stay warm, and Max is finding them more work, they may stick around all winter. 

Unfortunately,  I have no photos from last Monday,  because I had put my phone in my back pocket and forgot it was there, since I never put it there. After finding towels and bedding for the guys, putting away our leftovers from the dinner, I laid down on our bed, waiting for the bathroom to open up. It seemed to take an hour. I finally realized I could get in, but forgot the phone until I heard a splash. It's still in Ukraine in a box of rice. I brought my backup (the one that was stolen before).

Tuesday Shannon came with me to English class at 8 am, afterwards I finished packing and brought my Christmas presents for the students over to Scott and Shannon so they can give them out next month. I also realized that someone had taken a couple hundred grivna out of my wallet. The door was unlocked for about half an hour while Garry was making feed and I was teaching Monday morning,  that's probably when it happened.  Garry's locking the door all the time now.

No comments:

Post a Comment