As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Monday, January 18, 2021

Jet lag part two

 Sunday morning we slept in until ten am. Garry woke up about the time I had almost fallen asleep around three am. We did get (back for him) to sleep before five am. He cooked himself ramen noodles with veggies about 3:15. I had to get up show him where I put the cabbage we bought while shopping.

Sunday evening went to sleep around eleven pm, and woke up when Garry jumped up thinking it must be around five am. It was one-thirty am. Eventually we got back to sleep and woke up at 7:30. However, I did a lot of the prep for tonight's student meeting, chopping up more stuff for salad and the chicken fritters in the middle of the night. Sunday afternoon I made cookies and cooked the potatoes for the oliveyah salad Julia had requested.



I spent most of Monday morning making cabbage rolls, it made me remember why I don't ever make them! I cooked rice, boiled two different cabbages for leaves, scorched my fingers trying to peel the leaves off in the boiling water. Then I mixed up the rest of the ingredients and rolled the cooled leaves around balls of filling, I actually filled both crockpots (although we ended up freezing the ones from the small crockpot, I always worry we won't have enough food). My recipe I found was very Ukrainian style and everyone liked it. Garry said it tasted a lot like the Friedensfeld community club ones- that's for people in Manitoba. 

It was cold last night and only -16 C when we met at five pm this evening. Almost everyone made it to our house and we celebrated  Sasha L's 23rd birthday with cake and candles. 



He's the only guy still here that started in fall 2019. He's recently gotten his broken front teeth fixed, and enjoyed his gift of hats, neck warmer and water and coffee cups. Garry says he's the hardest worker we have, this fall he was getting day work for the pumpkin farmer along with working at the farm. He and Vika seem to be boyfriend/girlfriend this year but don't seem too serious.


The cold snap is supposed to last until Tuesday, it rarely gets down to -20 C here, so tonight's overnight low has people worried about what might freeze. Most of the students, especially the little boys, were very bundled up to walk here. 






 I'm staying up until midnight because our granddaughter's fourth birthday goes live on facebook for invited guests at 4 pm Central time. I just had a video chat and watched her decorate her own cake. There's a lot of icing and sprinkles on it. 



Garry had a message for the new year tonight, and making the most of our strengths and working with our weaknesses too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment