As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Saturday, September 10, 2011

Changing weather

Saturday morning and it is cool (18 C for the high today) and damp outside. I made my first batch of grape compote (really grape juice drink) today, since the grapes are starting to ripen on the vines surrounding the driveway. These grapes are not like the fancy types Garry has been eating for the last few weeks; it seems he is buying or being given all kinds of grapes this year. They are small old-fashioned grapes; in fact they taste very much like the ones that grow at the bottom of the yard on the farm in New Jersey that I grew up on.



Garry was making noise outside my kitchen while I was working, banging and talking. It turned out he was talking to himself, while working on his porch project. He was using his favorite Russian program, where he repeats phrases that he hears through his MP3 headphones. I brought his MP3 player home from Canada, Garry had accidently left it behind in Ontario when he went in May for his father's birthday. His parents brought it along when they came camping and fishing in Manitoba while I was home in August.

Friday we had rain, it was raining in the morning, the sun came out for a bit, then it was pouring hard. The power went off around 10:30 am; it always seems to go out just before I am going to cook dinner, so we had sandwiches for lunch instead. The ladies milked the cows with the use of the generator for the second time since we started the machine milking.





Since the electricity was still off, Garry and I decided to go to the city for some groceries and the masonary bit he needed to anchor the porch to the house (which what he was doing this morning.) We stopped at Victor's to pick up the milk jugs so we can fill them up for Sunday's church milk. While we were there I saw the new mission car, it's too bad I didn't have the camera with me, you could see it too! Maxim said the power came back on shortly after we left. I made pizza after we got back around 5:30. The rain, clearing, rain pattern continued all afternoon, Garry took this cool photo with the rainbow when he was working outside about six pm.

The village herd comes home earlier now, around 6:45 pm, since it is dark much earlier; it is quite dark by 7:30, even on a clear evening. We only have seven heifers going out with them everyday now, since a few have calved or are getting closer to having their first calf. On Thursday evening, only six came up the lane. Maxim took his scooter (it was in the photo a couple posts ago- did I mention Maxim bought a scooter? He brought it home on the bus when he came back frm his trip to Moldova to visit relatives) and drove up and down the street looking for her. It turned out she had turned with the cows that go down a different street in the village. To make it worse, she pulled the same trick again last night.

The local farmers are happy about the rain, some planted their wheat already and this will be enough rain to get it growing. The rest of them will be planting their fields since the rain finally came so the ground will be moist enough; they have been waiting until it came, since the first rain may have been too little to get the plants growing well, it could just sprout and die then. Plowing (or ploughing for non-Americans)takes twice as much fuel for the tractor when the ground is dry, so many fields have been waiting since harvest to be worked.




The rain is a little late for most of my flower garden, as even the marigolds dried up. However the morning glories that I planted near the fence this spring are growing happily on the fence, under the walnut trees by the gate. They never came up until June when it rained, and somehow survived and flourished there. I planted them there because Garry had talked about putting a new fence across the yard between the gates this spring. Turns out nothing has happened yet, so they could have been on the wire fence. However, sometimes we need to do the best we can where ever we are.

Don't forget I am going to answer reader questions on Monday. Sometimes I assume everyone knows what I know about what we are doing, but maybe I haven't talked about it on here or not for a while anyway.

Photos are taking forever to upload today. Maxim is off to Saturday evening church in Zaporoshia and Garry went out to get the heifers in at 6:30 while I was making a nice spicy stir fry. It's all ready to eat, the green tea is brewed and now he phoned because he is off to Pervey Mai to breed someone's cow. Will dinner still tastes good in half an hour, I wonder...it may be longer, if it is at the far end of that village.

No comments:

Post a Comment