As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Monday, October 8, 2012

Tire troubles...and policemen...and so on

 After our company arrived Friday morning, Garry went to pick up his two heifer calves he had bought. He forgot his phone, lucky for him the man with him had a little juice left in his phone (it needed charging), and called his wife, who was trying to nap before lunch - they had come in on the overnight train from Kiev. She told me that I needed to go find them, they had a flat tire on the tractor, around 12:30. I took off in the car, leaving directions for when the pie needed to come out of the oven, since I had just gotten it in with the help of my assistant cook, their daughter.

Lucky for me, I did not need to go all the way to Pervy Mai (I was sure I would miss a turn in the field roads) because they were on this side of the highway with three heifers in the blue trailer, he had bought another heifer calf from another neighbor where he bred a cow the night before- from the husband, he was a little worried about buying here, because his wife did not want to sell it then, she said it was going to be a good cow when it grew up.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING CANADIANS!
So the guys took off in the car to Salonee to buy a new tire tube, they were just pulling it off the tractor when I pulled up. We decided I could stay and watch the calves, I had my crocheting in my purse to work on, and was just finishing it up when they drove up- with no tube, there were none in stock!

Garry got some of the students to walk the three calves home, I put my pumpkin pie in the oven, I had just cooked up a pumpkin from the garden before I left to find them. The soup was still bubbling when I got back at 1:30 the apple pie was cooling, so we soon had lunch, once Garry was home. Then the guys went over to Molozohoarina to see about borrowing a tire to get the tractor off the road and home. They took a small helper with them, and she steered the tractor home under Garry's supervision, while her dad followed in the Lada.

I made pizza that night, of course, and everyone was in bed early. Saturday us girls hung around the house crocheting, knitting and watching the Disney channel while the guys went to buy tractor tires for the tractor in Zaporosia- two to balance it out. They bought some for the car too, and were late for lunch again, something about the need to go into the bank for more money for the tires and a traffic circle and a policeman....we ate without them.

Saturday night we drove into Zap again to take them to eat at the Chinese restaurant we've been telling people about (there are very few in Ukraine) and had a wonderful meal, the first three dishes were so good the last three just good in comparision! We even squeezed in some McDonalds icecream on top of it before heading back to the village...after a short chat with a policeman at  the checkstop getting onto the highway...just not Garry's day, I guess!

Sunday they came along with us to church, which was at the river for baptisms, three girls and five boys if I remember correctly, good thing it was a really warm day! We did a few things after, including a ride on the second story horses on the meery go round for me and my favorite girl in Ukraine. I have wanted a ride since it opened last year! We dropped them off at the train station, to catch the train home, and we headed home, after a short stop for some groceries....we should have stopped for gas, as we spent and hour sitting on the side of the highway waiting for Victor to rescue us with some gas (benzene) so we could get home. Good thing I had my crocheting....

No comments:

Post a Comment