As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Friday, March 5, 2021

Just another crazy? normal? freaky? Friday

 This morning I was up at six am to cook a big pot of rice. Garry had picked up the groceries I needed to make sushi with the students on Thursday on the way into his English class in Dnepro. He also dropped off the two student washing machines at Victor's that need to be repaired. It was warm enough yesterday that some of Victor's bees were out of the hive, but there's snow in the forecast for Saturday, so we are moving the student grocery shopping trip to tonight at six pm.



Garry got dressed and had some coffee while I was cooking rice, then he walked over to the barn to check on the cows. Three of the guys had not shown up to milk the cows. Vasa, who was night guard, was helping with milking. I spent some time going over the lessons I'd printed for the American week English outreach for university students we're helping with starting Tuesday. I had printed one earlier in the week, but Garry was changed from Beginners to intermediate group, whose lessons are the same as the Advanced group which I had printed for me, but you were supposed to wait to download them, so I was checking to see what was different in the two sets. Nothing was the answer, by the way. 

I continued prepping for cooking class. I was trying to put the recipe on the white board (a combo of Russian and illustrations) when Max came to the door, assuming Garry was home, since both cars were here. He's only been walking over the last couple nice days. Max needed 29 papers copied, that's 29 different forms each copied once, luckily he only wanted the front, not the backs too! So I was busy for a while before getting back to setting out stuff for sushi making.

Garry came back and had a bowl of granola while telling me about the guys not showing up for work. There's a cold going through the students this week (some of them apparently had it Monday during our student dinner), Garry and I are hoping we will be feeling good next week when we are going into Dnepro to teach English for six evenings. 


Anyway the students straggled in, Vasa, who had been up all night was first! and we made sushi. First they got to prep carrots, cabbage, onion and cucumbers for filling them (we also had crab sticks). At least some of them made nice looking sushi, and some ate theirs anyway. Two boys watched because they didn't like sushi as everyone made their own roll  and cut it. 





Leila announced we needed ketchup and I gave in and gave them some to use. Only two or three guys and Valentina used wasabi on their creation. Sasha's broke when he rolled it (they used a lot of filling) so he ate it in a bowl. One guy showed up very late and asked for a tooth tablet via google translate. Luckily he is heading to the dentist today, I gave him an Advil.

Garry paid them after, which caused a bit of yelling between a couple students over minuses for not working when they were supposed to, and who got bonuses, I think. Then everyone headed out and I used the leftover rice (I had made 8 cups) to make sushi for lunch. Check out the wasabi in a bag Garry found. It has some heat, too.



We ate at 11:30 because Garry had to go to the notary or lawyers with Max and Victor this afternoon, plus four students were going to the dentist (two returning and two new ones with toothaches). I just finished the pile of cooking class dishes and made a cup of tea and started this post. Hopefully Garry is back by five when we have another zoom call about the American week. And then off to the mall in Zaporosia for the grocery shopping at six (after closing the chicken coop door).



American week starts on Tuesday because Monday is March the eighth (or Women's Day) one of the biggest holidays of the year in Ukraine. It's going to be a very busy week. At least we had student dinner this past Monday. Although the next one will be the Monday after, Saturday is the last day and Sunday we have promised to go to Lena's school (there are spring holidays upcoming for school students). I think it will be a simple menu next student dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment