As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Sunday, March 14, 2021

The rest of the week

 




We made it through American week... just. We were feeling so poorly on Thursday we didn't go in to teach (possibly from all the excitement on Tuesday and Wednesday with the car plus our colds). We had sore throats, coughs and were so tired that Garry cancelled his regular Thursday classes (he was sicker than me and wasn't planning on teaching at American week because of his normal commitments) and faced with the idea of driving in on my own, I messaged to see if they could do without me, as I was exhausted from being sick.

Friday we took it easy again, even cancelling cooking class, until it was time to go in to teach, and made it through our lessons (wearing masks to protect everyone else- ps- we can still smell and taste, so pretty sure it isn't Covid19). He drank lots of tea and I tried tictacs to keep from coughing.

Saturday was a long day as Garry had his regular morning/afternoon classes, plus a special one for the teachers at the school he does the conversation classes at three. We had awoken to snow on the ground, not as much as the Saturday before, though. 

We went in to arrive around ten, found a place to park (Victor's free place as we didn't have enough tens and fives for the parking machines. they don't take bigger bills, its ten grivna an hour to park and the government has brought out five and ten grivna coins this year, so often you get coins, which the machines don't take either, in your change!)

I did the shopping for Monday night's student dinner, hitting up three grocery stores- I bought the heavy things like pototoes and cabbages at the closest store to where the car was parked, the newly opened D-mart (the cafe inside is called the Double D cafe!). They had some characters and 'Ukraine's biggest teapot' outside according to the girl on the microphone.

The snow was melting as the day warmed up, it didn't even get below freezing Saturday night. That was good, as my sneakers don't have good traction on wet snow and I slipped and fell after leaving Garry at the school. I had a wet knee and a couple sore spots for a while. I watched for clear spots on the sidewalk to walk on after that.





I met up with Jessica and her friend Karina, we found a cafe called holy buns that advertised cinnamon buns, Jessica, thought they looked good and tried one and said it was good (ie like a real one). I had a kakao (it's generally close to hot chocolate ) with marshmellow. Here's a photo. 


The marshmellow was piped on like whipped cream and then they torched it. It tasted best mixed into the chocolate milk underneath. Just before two we helped Karina find a tram and met Garry for lunch. We went to our favorite pizza place, but tried some dinners instead, I had a ceasar salad. I gave Garry the car keys (I  had been stashing groceries in the trunk) so he could drive over to the university when he was done teaching.

 Jessica and I did some light shopping, mostly window shopping, she bought an umbrella and I found earphones on sale that work with my tablet (it uses a C connection instaed of a headphone jack- the sales lady kept asking if I was sure that was what I wanted). Then we walked down the street and up, up the hill to where we were teaching. 

The students were all sorry the week was ending, Garry's class gave him lemon and ginger to make tea for his cold and all signed an amazing banner they made with Spongebob characters on, since he had a co-teacher named Patrick, who also got one. Garry is the snail on top of a cow, one of the students drew it. 



We gave Jessica a ride back to her car, then picked up two of our students who'd spent the day in Dnepro and headed home, buying them some fries when we got our dinner at the KFC drive-thru. When we got home we said hello and happy birthday to our grandson Carson via the internet.


After a good night's sleep, we watched a video of Carson opening the book I crocheted him and blowing out his candles. We are both feeling better today, soon we should be back to normal. Garry and Max figured out why the incubator wasn't working, so it is now filled with eggs we've been saving from the chickens to hatch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment