As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Thursday, April 7, 2011

A little wetter day




This morning it was clear, Maxim helped Garry start feeding the cows and was off with the loader tractor to get the air seeder around 6:30 am. Garry finished feeding the cows and was off to finished planting the peas/barley seed by eight o'clock- and the sun was still shining. Maxim returned with the seeder around 9:30- while the water truck was delivering water for our cistern. Victor drove in with the mission Lada right after I went out to take some pictures of the seeder. Garry got back by ten, but by the time the air seeder was filled with alfalfa seed and calibrated, it had started to rain- really rain, so they couldn't use the seeder.



We get "Dnepro city water" by truck like many people in the village (if we run out we can pump water from the well (we have two wells, we dug a new one for the barn last summer, but both have "salty" water, which is fine for showering, but not so tasty, even after going through our two-stage filter for drinking/cooking water. So when we have some in the cistern, I use bottled water for tea and most of the cooking (Garry says it doesn't make the food taste different- but I taste it- so I'll boil pasta or potatoes in it, but not in the soup.) I'll run a taste test this week to see how it is.

Garry had yet another dentist appointment for his bridgework- they made a mold- at 4 pm so he was not home when it did get sunny- Max and Victor went out and tried to plant some alafalfa seed when the ground dried out some, but came back to the yard and switched tractors because of the oil being low or something, so hopefully it stays dry for planting Friday. Several people in the village have asked Max if we could plant a little piece for them this afternoon, so maybe they will be busy when they are done with ours.

The milktank is supposed to be in Dnepro, but we are not sure when they are bringing it out and installing it. Maybe there will be photos of it next week. We are also having more company coming from Manitoba.



I am writing the blog at midnight today- blame the Phillies and crocheting. When Garry headed to bed I changed the channel and discovered the Roy Halliday was pitching (a 3pm Eastern time on it the later evening here- it's the 8th inning and the Phils are up 11-0- if you don't know I grew up in NJ and root for Philly) Tonight I restarted my sweater I have been crocheting again. I finished it a couple days ago and discovered that it was way too big (for me- Seth suggested that Noah could wear it, but it was supposed to be my sweater.) I was starting to pull it apart when I took this photo a couple nights ago. Yesterday I started a different pattern- and tonight I decided I didn't like it, so it also got pulled apart after about a dozen rows of the back. I now have 5 rows of a bobble stitch that I think is going to be the keeper- one size smaller also. Hopefully I finish it before I am tempted by another project- I have made three little ponchos since the first time I started this sweater last year! There is a really cute pattern for a little hoodie, if I could find that pink camo yarn, our granddaughter could wear it to kindergarten next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment