As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Friday, May 10, 2013

May 9th is a holiday in Ukraine

For the last two weeks the banks have been closed nearly every day because of holidays. Normally there are a lot of days off but this year with Easter falling in the beginning of May, it seems like everyday has been a holiday.

Luke (center) and Jonah
May 9th has been a birthday day in my family since I can remember, because my sister Sandra was born on the ninth, a good day to plant corn, my parents always said; and twenty two years ago our son Luke was born at 10 in the evening to make it his day too. Luke pushed his way into the world with one hand on his head, and was our biggest baby at 11 pounds 14 oz - really almost 12 pounds, and grew to be as tall as Garry, taller than any of his brothers, although Jonah is still growing.


Here in Ukraine May 9th is Victory Day marking the anniversary of the end of the Great Patriotic War, or WWII. There were special celebrations in Dnepro - I am sure this photo I took along the riverfront on Wednesday was connected to the celebration.

We had heard earlier in the week that there would be classes on Thursday; but because of the holiday, they were moved to today (Friday) and we went on a picnic with the students instead. There are more picnic photos on the trade school blog post- just click on the birds.

A little guy that Garry and Andrei found in the grass

Water balloon game

No comments:

Post a Comment