As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Wednesday, February 11, 2015

plotting my escape

I have decided that it's like a pajama party in here with the patients all chatting about their lives. Now that I am feeling better I am anxious to get out of here, the sooner the better, so I can actually rest and recover from mononucleosis. Victor tells me that they're waiting on test results that will be back on Thursday, but if Garry wasn't going to Kiev with the students tonight until Friday morning, I'd be packing my bags. You saw the bed pictures yesterday, today I'll try to tell you about the daily routine of the hospital.

Between 6_7 am a nurse comes in the room with thermometers, which you put in your armpit (just like when I was a kid) They return in 15 minutes or so, and write down the results. This is repeated around 7 pm. Twice I have had to take a pill in the evening because I was over 38 C, but a few times I have been below normal 37, which is really normal for me, but I am not explaining that.
Then there are doctors going around, the lucky people who get injections line up by the treatment room twice a day (you see a lot of young people going in and coming out rubbing their backsides.)
Oral antibiotics are not the norm here, I lucked out. The nurses start IVs -saline like I had the first three days or antibiotics around 11 am until 1 or so before lunch and maybe some later in the day if needed, in your room while you lie in bed. Sometimes there are doctors in later in the day. I lucked out on Sunday when I met the young lady doctor who speaks English well, but she wasn't around when the ear nose and throat doctor arrived close to six pm,last night,  it was like charades, with my bad Russian and her no English! I believe I figured out what she was trying to ask and tell me to do for my throat. In Ukraine you say aaaay instead of ahhhhh......




There are male, female, and children's rooms on this floor and we all use the same bathroom. There's one toilet compartment for guys and one for girls, which is always open, if unoccupied. The first days I decided that if the outer door was closed, the inner one was, but now I pull it open to check, because someone had been closing it. The inner toilet compartment has a sliding lock, for privacy. Bring your own toilet paper, which goes in the trash can there, no flushing the paper. The toilets are also where you dump your uneaten food from the ladies who bring it at mealtimes, before washing your dishes Ukrainian style... rinsed under the tap. You'll notice no toiletseat, its a cold porcelain throne, but at least it's not a squatty! Normally I wipe it off when I go in.

The sinks are in a bigger room that is locked up at night, that's where you wash up, with no privacy or even same sex time in the bathroom (that I have figured out anyway, ) I haven't done much washing, its a good  thing I wore a giant t-shirt to the hospital, hides everything! My rash is pretty much gone now, I am going to try wash my hair in one of those sinks if I am here much longer. The sinks are where you go to rinse your mouth (autocorrect has something against gaggle) You mix a spoonful of green stuff that Victor picked up at the pharmacy for me, they gave him a list of what to buy when he checked me in. I am supposed to gargle this six times a day, I have done 4, today I plan to try to get to 6! I don't know what is in it, but it has something that pulls fem out of you. Sunday he had to buy me ear drops for the pain and a three day course of strong antibiotic pills for bacterial infections (which I just finished, likely why I am planning my escape, I'm feeling better.) Back to the village and toilet seats, showers, my own food, quiet, and a real bed to lie in... I promise to be good and rest.




No comments:

Post a Comment