As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Friday, October 14, 2011

good days

why can't I paste? accidently in compose instead of edit Html, I see.



Woke up at 2:30 am and had to check if photos load at this hour. I had tried to upload a couple times late Thursday afternoon without success. The last few posts I had gotten one photo to load up per day, but not more, it's the internet connection's fault, I'm sure-- it stops flashing for a few seconds when the connection stops working, it restarts and the upload has failed...on the third try we got one! luck of the draw - it froze again right after loading it. Amazing second photo loaded like lightning..or high speed anyway, we'll try a third. Most photos this week, like the first one today, I uploaded on Saturday, which is why the Thanksgiving post was before Sat/Sun until I changed the date stamp on Wednesday, all the drafts have the day I uploaded the photos on...rats another upload bites the dust. Try the photo again.. in a minute... I just do them one at a time now.

Anyway, Maxim was busy spreading manure for people with Serosia for the second day in a row, since Serosia's big loader is up and running again, it broke on Sunday evening...rats; we've stopped flashing, back to upload photo again...the hydraulic pump went, I think he spent all he made the first two days fixing it!
Late Thursday afternoon, Victor was here getting milk to sell to his neighbors, his regular Thursday trip to the farm, when Maxim drove in with a full manure spreader...I may give up on loading more photos, try once more...if it's really fast it might make it... Victor was in the house so I said the manure spreader must be broken. Victor asked if that was because the spreader had broken earlier today, but I told him years of experience tells me that a full manure spreader coming into the yard means that it couldn't be emptied! They tried to find a used part around, but as darkness fell they were welding the part back on, seems it was not original to the spreader Garry told me.


I have a cute story about Serosia son, Seroshka (he's named for his Dad, it's a a nickname) On Tuesday he came over around six pm, and came in the house, he said something about kasha, decided to have more of my sugared walnuts in a baggie ( he had some the day before) and went outside. Garry decided to walk to the store to buy bread for tomato sandwiches, and when we walked outside, there was Seroshka in the brewers' grain pit (his big brother Andrei sells it for us so he's over helping sometimes.) All by himself, his head barely over the top, he was trying to shovel some out for his little push cart. Garry helped him fill it, but he insisted on pushing it home himself, one wheel wobbling as he when along the road (they live across the street, three houses down.) Seroshka pushed it down the driveway and onto the road, but I noticed that Garry snuck his hand on one handle until we got to their lane on the way to the store, since it it pretty heavy for a five-year old! The little guy then pushed it up the driveway, past the big dog on the chain to go feed the cows. Since his mom had the new baby this spring, the little guy gets the three cows in all by himself some evenings when they come home from the pasture, he's determined to be as big as his brother, who's 15!




Remember we had no electricity for a few hours yesterday (seems like once a month the power is out from 11-3 while they fix stuff) when it went out I tried phoning Garry in case it was a blown breaker, since they were putting in the new furnace, it seemed possible. The call didn't want to go through, so I walked outside to find him. I noticed our loader tractor next door, and walked over to the fence. A little old-fashioned yelling over the fence had Garry answering, he and Victor were getting some old Mennonite bricks from Misha's remont(renovation) to clad the porch. As you can see, the neighbor bought new bricks to redo his house wall, I'll have to find before and after photos sometime, it looks like a different house. Anyway, the power was out over there too, so no luck with finishing dinner.

Yesterday, shortly after the power come back on, the water for the houses stopped working. Garry said he found out the reason why it has been kicking on slow sometimes, when he found the cause ...look fifth time is the charm, another pic is up... the switch was bad. Victor was still here, so he was going to look for parts to fix it at the market before coming to get milk today. That one was quick...We're on a roll, I'll try one more...

Anyway we...light quit flashing, excuse me...where was I?... right, we had no water in the house last night. Garry brought a bucket of hot water from the barn to wash the dishes (not expecting further problems, I had not done them as soon as the electricity came back on...have I mentioned my crocheting Christmas projects, I was working on a Cabbage patch outfit while we were power-less, so I kept going.) The barn has its own well, water pump and hot water heater.

Thursday morning and Garry was feeling under the weather all day, he has aches, pains and sore spot on his neck, he thinks it's an infected tooth, or maybe a cold. I sent him back to bed after chores, when he fell asleep on the couch, although he was ready to take me bowling in Dnepro, as planned. I pointed out we looked like bums as we both needed to shower before going out, so he laughed and went to sleep for a couple hours until after noon, when some guy came to the door wanting his cow bred. When Garry got back we had leftover stew for lunch and he told me that the guy tried to sell him his cow, because the kids have moved to the city, and cows are too much work. However, what would we do with a cow who calved in the spring who isn't even pregnant yet? We have a full barn now.

One more kick at the can...let's try this last photo upload again So after lunch Garry went out to work on the water pump switch, Victor arrived, and they ended up fixing it with stuff that was here on the farm...I wonder if the duct tape ever came back in the house...




Later in the afternoon, Yana, the milker lady arrived back from her vacation, Victor went to pick her up with the car from the highway I think, she must have come by marshuka and she brought a friend Garry told me. I only noticed Yana and family getting out of the car when I asked Victor where Garry was, since I needed to ask how he had turned off the hot water heater in the morning, because I was trying to wash the dishes. Turns out he was forking corn silage into the bucket of the loader tractor (too much dirt in the feed if they scoop it up with the loader.)

As I walked out to where Garry was, I heard some peeping and thought - look the quail cage is outside today... boy, they sound like the baby ducks, a couple of the male ducks are hanging around like they are on guard duty...wait there are three ducklings in the wooden box - turns out the ladies put the last three in the summer kitchen!











one last try at that last photo...its had at least six tries and I'm done proofreading... blogger thinks I write in Ukrainian or Russian so every word comes up as needing spellcheck when I blog in Ukraine...works fine in Canada. Its still trying to get the photo of the loader bucket full of bricks next door to go with the one where Victor is pushing the wheelbarrow full out to the front of the neighbor's yard. Five minutes and I'm going back to bed... good grief its almost 5:30... still dark outside ...I give up...and it quit the upload anyway...

No comments:

Post a Comment