As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Friday, October 28, 2011

Overnight train to Odessa

Wednesday evening we drove to Dnepropetroesk around 7 pm. It was already dark, and Garry had to slow down as we approached a what's that in the dark on the highway, a few blinkers flashing ahead turned out to be an accident that had the left and part of the right lane blocked, squeeze right, and hope we don't hit something you can't see. There was a guy waving traffic around the car, barely visable ten feet from it. Always be ready to react when driving here, especially at night.


Since the overnight train to Odessa didn't leave until after ten, we went 10 pin bowling to kill time. Garry killed me in all four games, and afterwards I complained that my legs were going to be sore before we even spent all Thursday on a walking tour of Odessa!






After parking the Lada on the street in front of the big Lenin statue at the train station- the lot was only for parking by the hour, according to the attendant- 6 grivna for an hour. Garry and I got a snack, sharma (Garry's favorite street food), and a bottle of Pepsi while we were waiting. We met our friend Tanya and some of her older English students in front of the Voxall (you can see it in blue letters on top of the building in the photo BOK3AL ) and boarded the train- we were all in the same coupe or car, but in different sections of the car.



There are two bunks on the aisle fitted across the window, and two sets of bunks to complete the square on the other side of the aisle with the window and a little table between the bunks on the two bunk side they can fold the bottom bunk to make two seats with a table between if they aren't sleeping). The bunks are more Teresa-sized than Garry-sized; if he doesn't curl up, his feet are halfway across the aisle. Around 11 pm we made up our bunks- Garry and I had bottom ones, you get a thin mattress to roll out on the padded seat, a pillow and inside a plastic package- a set of sheets and pillow case with a little towel that's made from a dish towel material. There are wool blankets to use, but Garry and I didn't bother the first night, the train was rather warm and stuffy.







When Garry pulled my mattress off the top shelf, a pack with three cigarettes fell down with it, someone must have left their cheap smokes behind on the last trip. They are Kozak brand, so i assume that they are Ukrainian, there is a warning- Garry asked one of the boys to translate it, and he said it says don't let your children smoke.


The bunk is a little thin on padding (for middle aged North Americans) so I woke up a few times with a sore hip, and changed positions. I actually slept through many of the stops and starts as the train clacked it's way down the track, unlike other times we have taken the overnight train. My biggest complaint was the amount of secondhand smoke sneaking in with the smokers after they went out the back of the car to indulge, even Garry noticed it. In the middle of the night my eyes were watering, and my throat was sore.



I was sitting up awake by 6:20 in the morning, Garry slept until 7:30; Tanya in the bunk over me, slept until we woke her up at 20 minutes before nine, since we were supposed to get to Odessa shortly after nine. I had packed some homemade bagels for us since Tanya had said we should eat breakfast before getting off the train. Tanya had a pastry in her bag and got a cup of tea (she and Garry bought tea the night before also- they sell it for 3 grivna) and then checked out the information she had printed off the internet to organize our day.



Since I am having problems loading photos, I'll finish the story of our tour of Odessa next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment