As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Tuesday, April 10, 2012

cellar tour and fertilizer

Only looks like snow






Today Garry did more cultivating, and spread some fertilizer this afternoon. I think he broke up some fertilizer and Max spread it. This year Garry is excited he found some real 15-15-15 fertilizer to buy, but he also needed to use up the bags of leftover urea from last year's corn planting. When they planted the corn last year they had a couple teen boys from the village pounding on the bags so they could get it into, and run through, the planter. So you can imagine how very solid that fertilizer is now that it has sat under the machine shed for a year. Garry got quite a workout pounding on the bags and pushing it through the screen on the back of the spreader with a 2 by 4.






The guys gave Andrei the morning off, so he was using the washer- we are out of detergent (the guys use way more than I do while washing half loads) but he solved the problem by walking to the magazine (store) a buying a tiny box of Tide. He was back on this afternoon, shoveling up some of the new load of brewers grain to feed the cows. They had not bought fresh stuff since the big freeze, using up all the bagged stuff. Garry was very happy with it, he said there was no spoilage in the agbags they filled in July, the only time they couldn't feed it after they started in December, was when it was too cold and it froze solid. He wishes he could use it for corn silage, the pile is getting really small, the hay better start growing. Next year, Garry says he will plant rye in the fall for feeding in the spring.








Today when I told Garry I was out of onions, he told me I could get them from the cellar myself (actually he said basement, but I just spent almost 3 weeks in New Jersey, and after seeing it, that is a cellar.) He has gone down and bought me back onions ever since he put them there in the fall. I have never gone down the steep little stairs since we got here almost three years ago. I had to ask where the light switch was, and this afternoon when I decided to make dinner I wanted onions, so I when down and got the rest of them- the good ones just filled my little box, and brought up the last three cabbages. I know that people here in Ukraine keep them all winter, and peel off the rotten and moldy leaves and eat the white cabbage, and I've been using them all winter for cooking and marinated salads, but there was a lot more rotten stuff under the dried out layers now, so I ended up keeping just that little one in the photo, and tossing the other two. Now the veggies are cleaned out of the cellar excexpt for the milker ladies canning on the shelves. Of course I still have lots of jam, salsa, green beans and corn in the freezer, we'll be eating out of the garden all year. I had been freezing enough vegetables to feed Seth and Jonah this fall, before they started school ahead of my original schedule.

Anyway, I decided it looks very built in 1904 down there, so I went down again to take some photos. The ceiling is curved like the arch room (which was the chimney/fireplace in the original design of the house) and the stairs look like they may have been built without nails, with the steps notched in.


No comments:

Post a Comment