As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Saturday, April 14, 2012

Surprizes






You may remember that last year Garry was surprized to find people sleeping on the edge of the field he was working in the day after Easter. Today is the day before Easter, and he told me when he came in to get lunch to take out to the field where they are planting corn, that there is a group of young people camping in that same field. Corn planting is going well today, I don't know if they will finish today. It was foggy this morning but the sun has come out for the afternoon, hopefully my sheets will dry quickly on the line.



I was planning to wash the guest sheets today, but ended up washing ours first, and the blankets. Last night when Garry went to get into bed, he had an unpleasant surprize, the hiding cat Keisha had peed on our bed. So we ended up stripping the bed then changing the sheets on the guest bed in the green room and sleeping in there, because our mattress was wet. I applied vinegar and sponged it off, and we'll see if it is ready to sleep on tonight, or we'll sleep in the king size bed again tonight. As you may guess, Keisha made her move outdoors this morning. She was very friendly when Garry put her out hopefully she adjusts as well as Mooska did (Mooska was a five year old apartment cat when she came here more than two years ago), and Box is much happier to have the house to herself again.



I had a surprize when I went out to hang the first batch of laundry, one section of line was missing, and I was puzzled by the cut ends near the middle, how had someone broken it? Garry confessed when I asked, he was doing something in the yard and accidently cut it, with the ax he was using to chop down little saplings coming up around the apricot trees nearby. So I am down to two sections of line, luckily the day is sunny so I can get more than one load dry outside! The sheets even smell great since no one seems to buring anything right now, although everyone is outside, kids playing in the yard across the street, Andrei and Andrei are selling brewers grain, there are motorcycles and scooters buzzing down the street, the babushka next door is working in her yard, and the neighbors on the other side are working in their garden.









Yesterday the babushka put a new block of cement at the end of the driveway. Earlier this week, the milkbuyer lady's van drove over the cinder block she had buried at the end of the bricks the babushka lined the drive to the edge of the road with in an effort to keep cars off "her" property (it is really public property between the fence and the road.) After I took the photo she had an old guy working hacking out a hole with a wedge to put it inside. We think she was paying him with her homemade vodka, today the block is a couple inches out of the ground, painted white, and she was tidying around it with a hoe.








One more surprize- one of the baby quail from last fall survived and is enjoying the sun hanging in the cage from the apple tree by the summer kitchen. I guess Yana decided that it needed some fresh air after spending the winter indoors.

Looking a little cloudy at 4 pm, so I went and got the dry blankets, now to find some milk for the hot cross buns I was going to try, since it's Easter here in the the morning. We have had no trouble selling milk this week, since everyone is making paska bread- its the only Ukrainian recipe that uses milk, so there wasn't any this morning when I looked.

I had to really reach, since there was only one milking in the tank, but I have enough milk so I'm finished writing for today, I have to wait until Garry gets back from the field with the camera to load the photos. The guys were back by seven pm, all the corn was planted, and we even got a few drops of rain after they came in. Garry went out to breed a couple cows in the village as I got ready to put the pizza in the oven. The buns are rising, they will be in the oven soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment