As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Friday, August 5, 2011

Since Tuesday...planes buses and automobliles

A lot has happened since I uploaded those camp photos on Tuesday while I was freezing the rest of the sweet corn... about noon I bought a plane ticket to Winnipeg for Wednesday morning! I made some salsa (with Garry's help- we used the handpowered food processor we bought at a yard sale recently to chop the hot peppers, peppers and onions) squeezed it in the freezer and a batch of applesauce with the apples I picked up under the trees earlier (before I booked the ticket.)

I threw stuff into my suitcase (Victor added more for his boys- I think its candy) and Garry drove me to the bus station just before ten pm for my 7 hour bumpy ride to the Kiev airport. I was next to a large man with his shirt unbuttoned - with my computer bag on my lap and my neck pillow which I hoped would make it easier to sleep on the bus) he was the only one to get off before Borispol airport though- around 3 am in a downpour. Didn't sleep much - some sections of the road are extremely bumpy (worse on a bus.)

We got to the airport around 5 am and hurried off (once I got my suitcase- the driver insisted that my big red one at the back had to wait until he had gotten everyone in front of it handed out- in spite of the fact I was there first with my claim ticket.) I checked the departure board at the old terminal B - no flight to Vienna so I raced over to the new terminal for check in, pulling the big red suitcase, and carrying the computer case and bag.

Flight to Vienna at 7:20 was uneventful although I regret eating Ukrainian air's sandwich (kind of ham salad in a pastry- the English translation assured me it contained micro and macro essential elements and cellulose- I hope they were meaning fiber.)I had to stand in a line to exchange my Ukrainian air ticket for a Austrian air one before screening into the waiting room for the flight, was lucky to sit down. Lots of kids on the flight to Toronto, and I was toward the end of the boarding line when I was asked "traveling alone?" and a man returned with my Toronto -Winnipeg ticket and a business class ticket.

Wow now I know what happens on the other side of the curtain- it took the entire length of the movie to eat the meal (like six courses) Then I went to sleep- it was wonderful. Until I woke up sick, four hours from Toronto, and got to visit the lovely toilet many times! I am blaming the ham sandwich- I couldn't eat the pre-landing goatcheese with salad,(I did taste it- it would have been so good) and asked for a Coke to sip.

There were too many people on standby I was told at the Air Canada counter after customs in Toronto- I would have to keep my 11 pm departure - I had arrived at 2 pmI left my big red suitcase with the guy at belt number two and headed through security. I read a book I bought, updated my facebook status, checked the Phillies score.... even ate a plain bagel and hot chocolate at Timmies... around 8 pm I noticed my flight was delayed an hour and had changed gates again.

I bought a second book, moved to a new gate and spent the next six hours changing gates trying to stay awake... and watching the departure time change. At midnight(when 12:20 became 2 am) we were told we could show our boarding pass at Tim Hortons (the only thing still open) for a ten dollar voucher so I tried some soup and another bagel (a drink for the plane and a chocolate cookie- still tasty a day later as I post at 3 AM.)

By one-thirty we had been joined by people who had changed their 8 am flights for the new 2 am one to Winnipeg. They were as disappointed as the rest of us (students from a trip to London, mom with three kids, nice couple who had been to Ottawa, and so on) when after the people came off the plane we were told there was a mechanical issue ...after ten minutes we made one final move from gate 151 to 126 where a plane had just come in... we had to wait for it to be cleaned and checked and must have taken off about 3 am...landing in Winnipeg, where Jess had been since midnight for my supposed 12:30 arrival with her cat and dog for the trip to the farm.

I arrived at 4:30 am and it was very disappointing when the luggage carousel did not yield a big red suitcase with black V drawn on it for quick ID. It was getting light by the time we filed a report, told them we'd pick it up (try to explain that you can't express deliver anything to St Labre.)

Home around 7 am- finally

called and talked to Garry - middle of the afternoon in Ukraine- he was trying to get the chopper ready for corn silage, putting in the new knives. They had baled another 2000 bales of straw and broken the needles on the baler for the fifth time I think.

maybe they ordered the used ones they were going to get on the weekend before the broken ones were welded again. He says he is selling the baler and buying a different one for next year.

any mistakes in todays blogpost ar he faut of the weird new keyboard in the computer room- is it a gel one?

No comments:

Post a Comment