As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Tuesday, August 30, 2011

While I was gone...farm pics

Remember when I promised photos of Garry's round bales of alfalfa going up in the haymow? He took them but he never got them sent to me so I could share them with you ( I need better instructions next time...wait in December he goes with me)












I think I wrote about it in the updated crop and luggage report August 7, 2011. Garry had the rest of the crop round baled after the square baler broke. As you can see it was a very safe procedure - that's Maxim's brother Andrey riding in the bucket of the loader on the bale. Do not try this at home! They did get all the bales up there safely as you can see in the second photo inside the mow.









Of course Garry made some corn silage while I was gone- here's a photo of the neighbor packing the pile - he is really good at it because it was his job on the collective farm- he started work there at 16 because his mother was a widow. The pile is twice as big as last year- and you can see one of the tubes of brewers grain they made on the right side of the photo.










Garry also went to refill his semen tank with liquid nitrogen while I was gone and he took a photo of the lady pouring it into the tank. He also had to get more frozen bull semen- it is actually from Canada.

Garry has bred a cow (or several) almost everyday this summer here on the farm, or in the village or one of the villages nearby (as many as 10-15 kms away even.) He thinks that the village of Pervey Mai (First of May) must not have a bull, he has been there so often. A lady came yesterday and said he needed to come breed her cow for her as he had gotten her neighbor's cow pregnant. Tonight there was a knock on the door and he had to go just as I was putting the corn on the cob and stuffed peppers on the table- luckily it was close by- I just put the corn back in the water until he got back.









Last week Garry and Victor went to visit a man who has grapevines- all different kinds and brought home at least 10 kilos of different types of grapes- he is still eating them. The man is disabled and tends his grapes with two chairs moving one, getting on, then moving the next one. Garry said he picked and bought about 5 kilos (and Victor got 15) but the man insisted they needed more and got his helper to pick them more as a gift.

















Garry also did some building while I was gone- here's the calf hutch set he built- with the new heifer calf and the preemie that's about two months old (the smaller one is the preemie.) Today the neighbor boy Andrei gave it a nice coat of white paint to protect the chipboard from the weather.


He also did some more work on his porch on the kitchen side of the house which is going to be the barn entrance so the smelly stuff has a place that's not in the front hall! It still has a few things to do yet (a door, I think it is getting a window, and I heard something about cladding it in brick to match the house, and a red roof.) I post more photos as all that gets done.

No comments:

Post a Comment