As for me and my house we will serve the Lord....



Monday, May 30, 2011

Almost home

It's ten pm Garry is now on the train on his way back- he landed in Kiev at 11 am (early by half an hour even) He tells me Kiev to Toronto took 11 1/2 hours but coming back it was 9 1/2. He says he was through passport control and had his baggage in ten minutes (everytime I land by myself it takes me an hour!)The only problem he had was his cell phone wouldn't work when he turned it on. He ended up buying a new simcard for it- since it wanted him to put in a code he didn't have with him. His baggage is all coming back in Victor's van (the Bellamys ended up returning today also. Garry should be back in the village before 1 am (about 24 hours after taking off from Toronto).

It's now 12:40 and the photos just don't want to load tonight- and I was only trying two- then one- if it doesn't load before Garry arrives, I'll publish and add the pictures in the morning. Got one done just before he came in at one am so now there's two this morning- Garry is off to check if the weeds are dying in the corn fields with Maxim- after installing the water pump he bought on the way home- Metro is open 00-24 (that's the way it says 24 hours here.)


Maxim has had a few problems- yesterday the motor that stirs the milk in the milk tank broke (every hour it mixes for 5 minutes, plus when it is cooling.) The DeLaval guys were out to fix it today but won't have the part to fix it until Tuesday. Max tells me that he is stirring it up every hour.

This afternoon around four o'clock I was out weeding in the garden. I have found some tiny beets and other plants by removing weeds from the rows (hopefully more come up- there are very few in the rows- the green beans are up nice now.





I ran back in the house for the camera when the milk truck came- this is the new milk buyer that I was talking about from Friday. That's Maxim (with the hat) and the driver sitting on top of the truck talking. This is a pretty nice looking Ukrainian milk truck- there is a company name instead of just moloko painted on the tank! If you don't know the colors on the flag are the same blue and yellow (my first summer teaching English the students explained that the colors are blue for the sky, and yellow for the wheat fields- although there are also yellow canola (rapeseed) and sunflower fields. If they like the milk a lot they will pay more but even if we don't get the bonus it is more than the other truck that paid 1.8 grivina- over 3 anyway.






Seth and Jonah continue on their quest to finish their schoolwork so they can head to Canada for the summer- this is what they produced for splint making around 6 pm before they helping with getting the dry cows and heifers in from the village herd. They came in to show me so I can grade it on the computer. They splinted each other's legs. Health is one of the three courses they are doing from SOS Alpha Omega's computer courses- right now Jonah has finished English but has 2 sections of Bible to do, while Seth is the opposite. They knocked off another chemistry test today- three sections to go, and another dozen math lessons (this is the only class they are different in-- Jonah is Algebra 1 and Seth is completing 2 - Seth is grade 11 and Jonah 10 this year (they started school a year apart even though they are two years apart in age, so it is easier to use the same materials for most classes.)

While we were going over the answers to the chemistry review, (before doing the test) Jonah jumped up and yelled at Polo and put him outside- apparently Polo thought he would mark his territory indoors- he was lifting his leg on my vaccuum, mistaking it for a car tire, I guess. I thought Polo was housebroken now- he normally comes in a few times a day and collaspes somewhere on the rug for a nap.

This evening Max had a new problem after the heifers and cows were back- no water in the house, he tried putting water into the cistern with the hose from the barn well- but he tells me no water until tomorrow becuse the pump is toast - he says there was smoke so that may be literal. So no showers ... or dish washing (good thing I had washed those this afternoon!) or floor washing- which I was planning on doing before Garry arrived....good excuse anyway!

Happy Birthday to Garry's father - he actually turns 80 today, even though the party was this weekend- I hear that his parents were watching Wheel of Fortune when Garry walked into the house last Tuesaday evening....and they were really surprised to see him!

No comments:

Post a Comment